Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Wednesday's Featured Teacher and Freebie... Meet Erin Attaway

Meet Erin Attaway over at 
Me, Myself and Everything Else

Check out her blog: Me, Myself, and Everything


What do you teach? And where? 
I teach Kindergarten in Oklahoma. I love it!

What is one of your favorite memories in the classroom?
I have so many wonderful memories in the classroom. It is difficult to choose just one but, I will tell of one this past school year. On the first day of school this past year I was trying to warm up the room by being silly. Explaining to them the wonderful things we are going to learn and all the fun we are going to have. I may have gotten a little too silly because the next thing I know a sweet little girl yells out "you're weird!" All I could do was laugh out loud and say thank you!

What was your hardest experience while teaching? How did you overcome it.

My hardest experience has not necessarily been a student but a parent. I had a parent that was extremely religious. I did not have any problems with that, however, she did not want us to learn about pumpkins, because they could be jack o lanterns, or have any celebration of any kind...even if a parent sent treats. I tried to make her happy, but nothing did the trick. 

She eventually emailed my principle and told her I was a prejudice

and awful. My principle supported this parent, and even said I would be reprimanded. She told me to just kiss some ass (excuse my language). It was heart breaking. I finished the year with as much dignity and respect as I could. I then decided that I needed a principle who supported me as long as I was doing my best. I changed schools and it has been amazing.

What advice would you give a new teacher or someone switching grade levels?

One thing I would tell someone new would be to just do your best, and don't take too much on at first. Remember it takes time to get in a groove and you will make mistakes. It's ok, you will never stop learning or growing. 

For someone switching grades, you already know what it's like to be in a classroom don't doubt yourself. You will figure it out and it will be amazing. Enjoy! You are all making a difference!

Erin would like to offer all followers a 
Freebie!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover