Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Wednesday's Featured Teacher and Freebie.... Meet Brian Hopkins

I would like you to meet Brian Hopkins.

What do you teach? And where? 
I am currently a substitute teacher for grades Pre-K through 6th grade in Florida. I am looking for a teaching position. I taught for 8 years in Kindergarten, 2nd grade, and a short term in 5th.

What is one of your favorite memories in the classroom?
One of my favorites that stands out the most happened while subbing for a 3rd/4th grade combo class. One of the 3rd grade girls came up to me the 3rd to last day I was in the class and said I have something private to tell you. She said she didn't want me to go, wrapped her arms around me and cried and cried. She missed her teacher, but didn't want me to go either. Then the last day I was at the school subbing for another class she ran to find me as the bus bell rang and said one more hug and last goodbye. Knowing that I touched a child's life in just a month is a really good feeling.

What was your hardest experience while teaching? How did you overcome it.
It was right before I started with my first class. I had the chance to observe the teacher I was taking over for, for 3 days. On the 3rd day, the principal called me into the office and told me a parent in the class started a rumor that I was gay because I did not give his wife a strong handshake (use to shaking kids hands). The principal told me to let her know if anyone said that to me, wouldn't leave when class began, or gave me a hard time and she would be there immediately. She then said you must have a perfect day and win those kids over. I was told that I won over all the parents (other than the 1) the very first day and they received a ton of compliments about me in the front office. This was Kindergarten.

What advice would you give a new teacher or someone switching grade levels?
Know that if a lesson doesn't go perfectly or if children understand it one day and forget it the next it is not you, it is not the end of the world. Do the lesson a different way the next day and keep at it, children will get it!


Brian would like to offer all followers a 
Freebie!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover